Friday, December 19, 2008

Merry St. Maarten!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Its five days until the big day and I have yet to do any real shopping, I have one gift under my belt, so maybe I'm not so bad...that's what I'll keep telling myself LOL. Anywhooo......

I am fresh off the hills of such an amazing trip. As Miss Black USA, our director and founder Karen Arrington and myself got the opportunity to participate in the Miss Caraibes Hibiscus Pageant located in beautiful St. Maarten! In a word it was beautiful. The staff, pageant officials, and contestants were so incredible. We were blessed to have accomodations provided by the La Samonna Resort. Our villa was right off of the beach. Every morning I got the chance to wake up to an ocean view. But that wasn't the best part.

The best part was realizing how awesome this world is, to have such incredible gems like the Carribean and the people were just as warm and inviting. I was fortunate enough to spend time with many of the contestants prior to the competition and what inspiring women they are. It amazed me how every girl there was at the very least bi-lingual, last year's winner alone spoke 5 languages. These women were not just faces, though gorgeous they were true contributors to there communities, countries and great representations of strong women. I was humbled at how excited they were for the US to have its first African-American leader and how so many of them now had renewed hope. How amazing to discover, that even in our differences we still shared commond bonds. Each of their stories touched me and inspired me to come back and ensure that I am the same type of representation of strength, ambition and true beauty as each of those young ladies were for me.

Knowing how awesome these women were made it even more difficult to choose just one as the winner, but we managed and she was more than deserving. Congratulations to the new Miss Caraibes Hibiscus 2009 Curacao, which makes back-to-back wins for the country! Well deserved on both accounts! A wonderful culmination to a wonderful weekend/event.

Wish me luck on the shopping, I think I'm gonna need it;0).

Til Next time...be blessed

Kristen White
Miss Black USA 2008

No comments: