Wednesday, November 12, 2008

August, September, October...here we go!!

Yes, I know its been a minute. Okay more like months, but there's much to tell. I can't believe that already, I am 5 months into my reign. Time is truly flying, but I am blessed to say I am making the most of it. So to make this update as efficient as possible,:0), will take it a month at a time. Here goes....



August-



I was honored to start this month off with the Clayton County Board of Education in my home state of Georgia. I was a special guest and speaker for their annual Clayton County Back-to-School Kickoff. This program welcomes back all faculty and staff and serves as a day to motivate and encourage educators to have a successful year. Over 3,600 educators and staff were in attendance. It was such an electrifying feeling to be able to speak to that many people. I also got the opportunity to perform at PALS Bingo, which is a charity event that raises money for PALS, a non-profit organization that provides pets to those suffering from terminal illnesses. That was a particularly good night; 1) we raised alot of money and 2) I won $150 in a bingo round! In addition, I also co-hosted the Dress for Success event, "Design for A Purpose" Competition. The designers were incredible and their lines didn't dissappoint. This month also yielded the start of some great partnerships....more to come on that later;0)



September-



Miss Black USA welcomed a new member to the family as I attended the crowning of the new Miss Mahogony. The pageant was held in Memphis, TN and when I say they arguably have some of the best ribs I've ever eaten I mean that..mmm mmm good!!:0) Alicia Lewis, Miss Mahogany 2009 and the Mississippi rep for Miss Black USA 2009, will surely do them proud. I also got the opportunity to be a special guest for HBCU Hall of Fame weekend and served as judge for the Miss HBCU competition. A big hand clap of praise goes out toe Miss North Carolina A&T who brought the title home. September ended with a bang. I was a keynote speaker for Usher's New Look Foundation Voter Registration Campaign "You Can but I Can't". We encouraged kids that are not of voting age to encourage those around them who are of age to go out and vote. This month also ended fantastically, as I was able to help my father ring in his 63rd birthday. My eldest brother's birthday is the day before, so it was good week in the White family.

October-

This month started off at the movies. As Miss Black USA I do get the opportunity to attend premiers but this was different. The Women's Ministry at my church had an outing and we saw "Fireproof". It was incredible and I can only hope that I one day find a guy who would do the "love book". Curious as to what I'm talking about? Google it, and then go see it...you'll love it too. Being that I am a Georgia peach, its always nice when I have appearances that are close to home. My Clark Atlanta visit definitely fit the bill. I got to speak to every campus queen from all of the Atlanta University Center institutions. Topic of choice?....finding your purpose. They asked alot of questions so apparently, what I said must of been interesting. That, or they were being really polite;0). Spelman also hosted an open forum, "the LaVena Johnson Update" for which I was a panelist. This month also had its share of industry events including the BET Hip Hop Awards, the Janet Jackson concert, and my taping of Tyler Perry's House of Payne! Professionally, I shot features for CTP Magazine, Sophisticates Black Hair Magazine, and Jezebel Magazine. I was also named as one of the new faces of Poshissimo Jewelry. I think it's safe to say it was a good month;0). Additionally, I also made a great stride with my non-profit Project Protest as I presented for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at my first national conference. NCMEC is also now an official partner of Project Protect, so we will be working very closely together in the near future! Finally, this month ended in Washington, DC where I was a special at the "For Sista's Only" Expo. I not only kicked off the event with the black national anthem, but I signed autographs and did a radio show with "Big Tig". Shout out to Miss Black DC 2008 Amanda Lewis for making my stay in DC even more enjoyable!

Well I'm outta words so til next time....be blessed and fearlessly walk into your destiny!

Kristen White
Miss Black USA 2008

1 comment:

Tobi said...

Girl! It sounds like you are doing amazing things! God has blessed you with such amazing gifts, and it's wonderful to see you use them to better yourself and others!
Great photos.
Love Always,
Tobi Collins